Wednesday, January 10, 2007

That One Word

I have been thinking recently about what the students of Trinity Lutheran School will remember long after they have graduated. What will their thoughts be? How will they view their experiences at our school? Will they remember a certain teacher or friend from their class? What will be their most exciting memory? What about their worst?

School years make an incredible impression on our lives. I can remember clearly events from my childhood and experiences I had in school. Some good…Some not so good. I can remember certain teachers and even the words they said to me that had a profound impact on my life. Words and experiences that may have seemed unimportant at the time were permanently etched into my mind. When I think back to my experiences, I am reminded very clearly that I and the other people here at Trinity are making lasting memories for our students. What will those be?

I am reminded that seemingly innocent or off-hand comments can stay in the mind of a student for a long time even after the one who made the comment has forgotten what was said. The old saying that "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me" is not very true at all. Words often hurt far worse that any physical pain. We also tend to forget what the context was when the comment was made. I remember words of praise and encouragement and I also remember when teachers and principals spoke to me when angry or tired of my shenanigans. (Yes, I spent some time in the principal’s office.)

It seems to me that many of us remember a special teacher that had an impact on our lives. Many times teachers who are remembered the most are the ones who were firm but yet forgiving. They had challenging lessons and demanded much, but yet they were patient and understanding. They did not view teaching as just another job, they viewed teaching as a calling to serve and make a difference. I can remember many foolish things I did in school, but I remember even more the consequences I received and how I learned from my mistakes. (I learned not to bring a water gun on the last day of my 8th grade year the hard way)

What an awesome responsibility it is to work with young people. I pray that I make the right decisions and the words I choose do more good than harm. I pray that our students will have fond memories of their time here at Trinity. I pray that our students will look back and know that we taught them because God has called us to teach math, science, and other subjects, and most importantly, about Him.

Sometimes, that one word can make a world of difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finally talking about > "That One Word" < Liked it!

Here is my blog post; http:
//www.articlehomestead.com/article.php?id=32268

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now
each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Appreciate it!

Look at my page Natural Cleanse