Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Painting With A Four-Year Old

Recently I have been trying to paint my basement. I have no idea why, but there I stood with a paint brush in my hand and great ambitions in my heart. Then it happened... My four year old asked if she could help me paint. With cute little eyes and a big smile on her face, she said, "Please Daddy, can I help you paint the basement?" I thought about the mess she would inevitably create. I thought about how my project would surely slow down. I thought about what brush she would use. I thought about all the time I would have to take to show her how do it right. I knew that this was going to be a mess and I thought about sending her back upstairs to play with Mom or one of my other three kids. (I still haven't found out if my wife sent her down to the basement.) I thought about why I couldn't have some time for myself and actually finish a project.

With an attitude in my voice, I told my little four year old to get some real old clothes on and let Mommy know. She grabbed the paint brush and started to paint just in front of where I was painting. She started by painting circles. She then started to paint pictures of our family. Then unicorns, ducks, dogs, etc.... You get the point. The entire time she was either telling me about her pictures or asking me questions.

The questions from a four year old can often leave you a bit confused.

Daddy:

"Why does the paint dry a different color?"
"How does paint stay on the wall?"
"What do they make the brush out of?"
"Did the unicorn lose her other horn?"
"Can we always paint together?"
"Does Mommy like to paint too?"
"Can I paint my bedroom pink?"
"Does God like to paint?"
"Can I have a drink?"
"Do hamsters smell paint?"
"Are we going to paint the whole basement?"
"Can we have a snack?"
"Did Jesus and God ever paint together?"
"Why do turtles live in a shell?"
"I love cookies and peanut butter."
"Can I go to the bathroom?"
"Do fish sleep?"
"How old were you when first painted?"
"Why do hamsters have to die?"
"Does God ever have nap time?"
"Are you older than Mommy"

On and on it went. She talked to me the entire time.

We painted together for at least two hours. To my surprise, we had a great time. I still tried to get a great deal done but I actually found myself looking forward to her next question or comment. She was so excited, energetic, and happy to help, that I found myself in awe of the of this little girl. She had no idea what she was getting into and neither did I. What turned out was a partially finished messy painted basement and a memory that I will never forget.

The lesson I learned is that I need to focus more on people instead of tasks. I know my basement will get finished some day. When? It doesn't matter. What matters is that my little girl and I had a great time and we learned so much from each other. I know some day the questions and comments will be far fewer and she won't need her Daddy in the same way. I know someday she probably would rather do about a million other things than help her Daddy paint the basement. I dread that day. But for now, I have a little four-year old who likes to help and still likes to talk to her Dad.

I pray that I can apply the patience I found with my four-year old, when I deal with other people. I pray that they can apply the pateince that my four-year old showed me when they deal with me.

Take the time and paint with a four-year old. You'll be glad you did.

Please write back and let me know if you have had similar expereinces.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Richards,

What a wonderful blog! You captured a remarkable feeling and image with your words. It is encouraging to think of the special times we share with children and how they hold a place in our memories and theirs. I hope you are doing well.

A former student and inspired teacher -

Nick Utech

Anonymous said...

I'm late in reading this, but what a great day you had and a special opportunity that may never come your way again.
Karen B